Sep 28

“Gotta Run”

That’s what the bumper sticker on my car says. And I suppose, it’s a bit like a mantra for me. I eat CLEAN to exercise my body. I work to exercise my passion. And, I run to exercise my mind. I know it sounds a bit mixed up, but I promise it’s the truth!

CLEAN FOOD nourishes my body and keeps my internal systems operating with efficiency and balance so that I can move through life without being held back by aches, pains, weakness or lacking energy.

There’s also no doubt that eating clean is closely related, even synonymous at times, with my work. Sharing my passion for CLEAN FOOD has been the gift of a lifetime. Not only does it keep me true to my own journey, but it feeds my heart and soul to support and empower others to nourish themselves, their families and their environment.

A week into my first book tour with my family, my home and my security left behind, I am aware more now than ever of the role running has played in allowing me to realize my dreams. Every time I lace up my running shoes and head out the door I am faced with the reality that running is hard. For some, I know it comes more naturally, and for others I know it does not come at all. But for me, running is a constant battle between body, mind and heart.

There has never been a run when I didn’t want to stop at some point, turn around, go home, call it quits, walk it in, or throw in the towel! Sometimes the doubt comes at the start of the run, sometimes in the middle, sometimes the end. But after every run, I relish in the “I did it!” It really doesn’t matter the distance, the pace…(although these can definitely help on a good day). In my heart and in my mind, self-doubt and fear live side-by-side with self-confidence and courage. Each run makes me stronger physically, but it’s the mental strength that spills into every aspect of my life and gives me the confidence to face challenges and fear head on.

There are many stops to come on my book tour, so please check out the calendar on my website. I hope I’ll get to meet you when I’m in an area near you. And if you can’t make it to a book signing, class or workshop, perhaps you’d like to join me for a run!

To your good health – mind, body and soul.

Eat Clean and Live Well!

1. Posted October 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I love your book!! Tell me more about the schooling that you had.I am so impressed with getting back to nature!! This should be in everyone’s book shelf!!
    Thanks again,
    Cheryl

2. Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

My husband and I just started doing lots of the recipes from the “Clean Food” book and we love the things that we have tried. The only thing is that I am the type of cook that a picture of what I am cooking helps motivate me to cook healthly. If I see what the end result looks like. Then I say to my husband and think well this looks delicious lets try it. My question is in your next book can there be pictures, yes I’m being silly,but it would be nice. Thanks for helping me and my famliy becoming more healthly. Cook in Chesapeake,VA

3. Terry Walters
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Alicia, I’m so glad that you and your husband are enjoying CLEAN FOOD. You’re not being silly at all, and I suspect there will be pictures in the next book to satisfy such cravings. In the meantime, here’s a bit as to why they’re not there in this book.

Over the years I’ve noticed that people come to my cooking classes as much for the connection and inspiration as for the recipes. I never want my students to judge their success on how their dishes compare to mine – or in this case, to the one in the picture. It’s my hope that people will be inspired and nourished by the quotes, reflections, art and content in the book, and not feel restricted by a picture dictating the way or outcome. If you love what you create, then it is yours and it is perfect.

Like good nutrition, I believe that there are as many diets as there are people. So while you may not have a picture as your guide, I do hope you’ll continue to enjoy CLEAN FOOD and the nourishment that comes as a result of all it inspires you to create.

To your good health!

4. Posted October 28, 2009 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Terry,
    I must tell you that after eleven years of being a professional chef and now private chef that I hit a slump or cooking block until I found your book. It literally jumped off the shelf into my arms and I have been inspired ever since. My three year old said,” Mommy, is that your bible?” I want to thank you for your true passion and love in clean food cooking. I am currently putting together a clean food cooking gathering/workshop to spread the word on sustainable, local and clean food and would love to sell your book, i.e., have you host it (very very wishful) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Namaste,

Monica Cobb

5. Terry Walters
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for connecting, Monica, and for sharing your kind thoughts. It’s an honor to be such a meaningful addition to your kitchen and inspiration for your upcoming program. I am happy to support your efforts to spread the word on CLEAN, sustainable and local. I will be in touch to talk about how we can work together!

Eat Clean
    Live Well!

Terry

6. Brigette Enos
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I just got your book (i am new to the whole green living scene) and must say that i really enjoyed the handful of recipes i have made so far. I’m not a vegetarian and was skeptical at first as to whether or not I would really enjoy your ideas. I have been impressed so far. It really is easy to incorporate this kind of life style. I don’t think I will give up meat altogether, but I am definitely giving your book’s recipes more of my cooking time 🙂 Thank you,

Brigette, Chico, CA

7. Terry Walters
    Posted October 30, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Brigette,

I’m so glad you’re enjoying CLEAN FOOD and want to thank you for making such an important point. Eating clean is not about deprivation, it’s about bringing in the foods we all need more of – minimally processed for maximum health and a good life. The best diet is the one that fits your unique constitution, and the cleaner you eat, the clearer that will become. It sounds like you’re well on your way!

Thanks for connecting.

Terry

8. Mandi Lucas
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I cannot say it enough.

I have an 11 year old who a couple years ago became completely covered with psoriasis. After treating with a dermatologist for almost 2 years and being told we needed to choose from some very scary treatment options to try to get my son some relief, I hit the internet and started researching the belief that psoriasis is affected by (among other things) diet.

In January 2009, I started my entire family on a 100% all natural diet and within 5 months my son’s psoriasis had cleared completely up with the use of absolutely no medication. I had two cookbooks that I got meal ideas from, but most new things I tried were lacking in flavor and getting my pre-teen kids (or myself) to really enjoy meals has been a real struggle. I am not imaginative in the kitchen, so I found myself returning to the same couple of things that we’ve found that we like over and over even though I knew that we needed variety.

I just found your book and after spending a short amount of time picking out recipes with my kids, we headed to the grocery store this weekend and returned home very excited to work together to make some new meals. Just four recipes later, I am astonished. From recent cullinary experiences, new foods have been met with major resistance by my kids especially. The first recipes I tried were not made with foods that my kids particularly cared for and we were all astounded at the outcome. The food is amazing and so delicious. I cannot wait to finish the book and see what else it has to offer. I have a renewed faith in this journey I have started us on.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

The Lucas Family

9. Terry Walters
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Dear Mandi,

I can’t thank you enough for sharing your journey and your kind thoughts. I am humbled and inspired by how you have healed your family and am honored to be part of your success. I have been reading your note daily as a reminder of how much more we can accomplish when we work together and share our strengths and our resources. Thank you for being such a meaningful part of my circle.

To your good health and that of your family – body, mind and soul.

10. Posted December 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I just want to tell you how much I have enjoyed your cookbook. Every recipe I have made so far has been a big hit! I’ve been trying to live gluten-free and eating as much whole “clean” food as possible, so your recipes have greatly expanded my repertoire. And as a graphic designer, I really enjoy how well designed the book is. Kudos!

11. Danja
    Posted December 7, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Dear Terry,

I came across your book a few weeks ago through an online newsletter (I think Women’s Health), and I was really intrigued. Well, I went through the book this past weekend at my local B&N, and I knew I had to have it, so I bought it. You cookbook is fantastic! Even though my family won’t be going vegan any time soon, we are very careful about how we eat and where our food comes from. I am always on the lookout for tasty and healthy dishes, and your recipes provide exactly that. Great job!

Sincerely,

Danja

12. Posted December 7, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Dear Danja,

I’m so glad you’re enjoying CLEAN FOOD. The recipes in the book grew out of my working teaching classes for the foods we all need more of – whole grains, dark leafy greens, root veggies, non-animal sources of protein…. CLEAN FOOD isn’t about embracing a vegan diet, it’s about having the knowledge to make healthy choices and fill your plate and body with super-nutritional foods, no matter what else you have on the plate! Wishing you and your family a delicious and nourishing holiday season!

13. Posted December 7, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Terry,

I’m really excited about your book, Clean Food, and I’m very happy for you. It’s wonderful to hear that you’re helping so many people already! I love it when more and more people get out this message to eat real, wholesome, natural foods or as you put it, “clean food.”

Please accept my very best wishes on your book! This sounds like a very exciting time for you.

FYI, I learned about you from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition blog. I, too, am a fellow IIN-er and also a fellow author (my first book is SUGAR SHOCK!)

Please see my other email to you in which I invited you to appear on my Gab With the Gurus Radio Show. I look forward to connecting and doing work together.

Warmly, Connie

14. Posted December 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Connie,

Thanks for your best wishes. Looking forward to talking “on air” soon!

15. Elaine
    Posted December 15, 2009 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Hi Terry,

I bought your book shortly after it came out, but finally got around to making the first 2 things this weekend. I don’t know why I waited so long, but I know I’ll be cooking from it again this weekend. I made the lentil loaf. Oh my goodness, was that THE BEST. I used to buy a lentil loaf in a package years ago and it was good for a quick dinner, so while I wanted to make your recipe, I wasn’t expecting it to be SOOOOOO good.

I also recently purchased a new cookbook by another author with a lot of vegan recipes (while I’m not a vegetarion I find cookbooks like these to be good for healthy recipes and recipes for veggies). With both these books I thought I’d have a great selection to pick from for the parsnips and rutabegas that I just bought. But the new vegan book with a ton of recipes had no rutabega recipes and maybe one parsnip recipe. While your book had several with even good hints in your description!!!

It became clear to me which book I prefer. I like the fact that you use whole foods, and cook them in what I consider a healthy way. I was surprised that just because something says vegan, doesn’t mean they aren’t cooking with margarine and white flour. That was a real surprise to me especially since this is a newly published book, I hadn’t expected to find while flour in at least most of the baking recipes. I guess buying a cookbook is now similar to reading fine print on a package, you have to see what is in it first.

Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not trying to bash another author at your website, but trying to make a point that it is easy to be fooled by the packaging on books as well as food.

Thanks for a great cookbook and I hope you are writing another one, because I will be buying it when it comes off the press.
    Happy Holiday,
    Elane

16. Posted December 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Elaine. There are a lot of great cookbooks out there, but there’s no doubt that we each have a different set of ideas about what fits best in our kitchens, our bodies and our lives. I’m so glad that CLEAN FOOD resonated with you and am thrilled that you’re loving the recipes you’re trying. That said, you never know where you’re going to find inspiration, so I hope you find many more favorites in both of your new cookbooks! (Just with a heavier emphasis on CLEAN FOOD!!! – oops, I don’t think I was supposed to actually say that!) : )

17. MrsMoose
    Posted December 16, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I’m preparing your orange-ginger tofu recipe as I write. The marinade completely covers the tofu in the baking dish and I wonder if it can brown with this much liquid. I’m inclined to pour some off. Please advise.

I absolutely love your book, by the way!

18. Posted December 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Mmm… I love the Orange Ginger Tofu! For the best results, I use a 9×12 baking pan and while the liquid is deep, it does not cover the tofu completely. But don’t worry. Since the dish is uncovered during baking, much of the liquid will either get absorbed or evaporate. If you pour it off, the tofu will become dried out during baking. It will be great – I promise!