Feb 2

Edible Institute

I have just returned from Santa Fe, New Mexico where I attended “Edible Institute” – an opportunity that left me feeling more motivated than ever and committed in my passion to create awareness and change. As food and connection provide nourishment, it’s clear that that is a goal shared by Edible Communities and me.

IMG_0864

With more than 60 magazines within the United States and Canada, this community of publishers is blazing a path by featuring local, sustainable foods and artisans that highlight our regional differences and support the richness of our communities and land. Edible publishers from Vancouver to Memphis, Martha’s Vineyard to Austin, and Manhattan to Los Angeles all shared their insights on farming, biodiversity, sustaining culinary heritage and much more.

Deborah Madison leads a tour of the Santa Fe Farmers Market

Deborah Madison leads a tour of the Santa Fe Farmers Market

Speakers like Fred Kirschenmann, a leader in the organic/sustainable agriculture movement and a fellow of the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, renowned cookbook author Deborah Madison and writer/blogger Elissa Altman, founder of the blog Poor Man’s Feast and published in The Huffington Post rounded out a lengthy list of inspiring guest speakers that shared their wisdom and created dialogue that is certain to be reflected in an Edible Magazine near you!  If you haven’t picked up an Edible Magazine in your neck of the woods, now is a great time to do so. Click here to learn more.

IMG_0867

Santa Fe Farmers Market

Local Flavors of Santa Fe!

Local flavors of Santa Fe

I’m looking forward to working with my new Edible friends in Austin, Hudson Valley, Manhattan, Sarasota, Chicago…so many people sharing such important work. Thanks to the entire Edible community for your support and friendship.

Stay tuned for more about my adventures in Santa Fe!

1. Elizabeth Christensen
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

What an amazing experience! The photos are wonderful and the goal is incredible! I love visiting the Farmer’s Market on the weekends after my morning run. Looking forward to summer when standing outside and tasting the bounty is more fun!

2. Posted February 4, 2010 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Hi Elizabeth,

Santa Fe is truly a magical place, but each farmers market I’ve been to is unique and the atmosphere is brought to life by the personalities of the farmers and community. Which farmers market is your favorite?

3. Posted February 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

How lucky to have the opportunity to visit Santa Fe…such a wonderful small city. I love the Edible Nutmeg magazine and pick it up at the Coventry (CT) Farmers’ Market, an amazing place in our area.

4. Cindy
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

We live in the Florida Panhandle and do not have the opportunity to visit many Farmers Markets. However, we certainly enjoy traveling the USA and other countries finding local markets as we go. Each area has different and unique delights.

5. Elizabeth
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for doing this blog! Very inspiring to cook healthier for my family! I have made the tofu kale lasagna and everyone loved it! I still don’t have the cookbook so I am hoping to win it for Valentines Day 🙂 Thanks!

6. Posted February 12, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Hi Elizabeth,

The tofu kale lasagna is a favorite in our home, too. Thank YOU for providing inspiration and joining the conversation!

7. Barbara aliquo
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Terry,
    Your cookbook has saved my life. I cook from it almost every night. It had changed my thinking about what I eat. Both my daughters now use it & love it. They now cook healthy for their family. All recipes are excellent except the lentil soup. Is there a typo on the amount of lentils? But it is still tasty. If I win the book I will give it to a friend who needs to get healthy. Thank you, thank you ! Please write another cookbook !
    Barbara Aliquo

8. Posted February 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Barbara,

Perhaps I should have labeled that recipe “Lentil Stew.” It is definitely stick-to-your-ribs thick (the way my family likes it best), but you can add water or stock if you prefer a more broth-like texture! I’m honored to be in the kitchen’s of your family. Happy Valentine’s Day!

9. Ann Pieczek
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Terry:
    Meeting you in April 2008 at Whole Foods in Newton MA and buying your cookbook has totally changed my life. I cook often from your book and have never felt better. The recipes are easy and delicious. Thank you for the recipes, the inspiration and the support.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Ann Pieczek

10. Posted February 12, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Hi Anne,

Great to hear from you! I’m so happy to learn that you’re feeling great. If I remember correctly, you took off a considerable amount of weight after we met, yes? I hope you don’t mind my sharing, but your success can inspire many more to make healthy choices and feel great, too. Keep up the great work and thanks for making me and CLEAN FOOD part of your journey.

11. Tina Ashley
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Hi Terri,
    Thanks you for teaching. I am adjusting to a gluten free life and would love to have your cookbook to help me on this journey. Happy Valentines day.

12. Posted February 12, 2010 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Hi Tina,

Thanks for writing in! While the majority of the recipes in CLEAN FOOD are gluten-free, be advised that a handful of the recipes do contain gluten. There are only a few, but they include barley, seitan, wheat berries and wheat flour (although the baked goods usually offer a non-gluten substitute). That said, my next cookbook is completely gluten-free, so between the two you’ll have over 300 gluten-free recipes to enjoy! Wishing you an easy adjustment to a gluten-free life and hoping you feel great soon as a result.

13. Lorry Belanger
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Hi Terry,
    I gave my sister a copy of your book “Clean Food” for her birthday- it was her favorite gift!! Thank you for writing that book.

Lorry

14. Elizabeth
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Please Please Pick Me 🙂 I love the book….it looks amazing!