Mar 27

Welcoming Spring

The first day of spring always brings an opportunity for celebration in my family, and this year didn’t let us down with temperatures in the upper 60’s, plenty of sunshine and activities the weekend through. From yard clean-up to indoor spring-cleaning and cranking up the grill, it was a cleansing weekend that did wonders for the soul! Here’s a sample of what kept me busy and feeling nourished this week.

One of the most satisfying and also most dreaded spring chores is the turning of the compost pile! People frequently ask me how I compost through the winter and the truth is that I really don’t. I throw the scraps in the bin, but as soon as they hit the pile they freeze. However, come spring…look out! The pile is huge and as soon as it starts to thaw, it requires love and attention – otherwise known as aeration and brown matter (like leaves). I’ve often thought that the bowls of scraps are equally as beautiful in their own organic free-spirited sort of way as my prepared recipes. Here’s a view of this year’s creation.

IMG_1052

Okay, so maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Moving right along, the second spring-time activity this year was an impromptu sleepover for my daughter that turned into a seed planting and garden preparation party. Nothing like a little free labor to start the garden off right! Each child took home two pots of seeds to start their own vegetable gardens, and I kept the flats! Cucumbers, lettuce, beans… There’s more work ahead, but this was a good start.
IMG_1139

Finally, a trip to the farm completed the perfect spring triumvirate!  Freshly picked spinach, arugula, Chinese mustard greens, dandelion greens…all harvested from the six overflowing greenhouses of Urban Oaks Organic Farm in New Britain, Connecticut. What a sight…and what a delicious and cleansing way to get off to a healthy start this spring!

IMG_1067

IMG_1064

While the mercury hasn’t climbed back to last weekend’s glorious temperatures, spring fever is far from just a memory. Whatever spring inspires you to do, be sure to take the time to honor the change of season and usher it in with mindfulness and appreciation. The sun continues to shine, and even as the winds blow the remains of winter through the branches of the trees, spring fever has hit my neck of the woods hard!

Share the ways in which you like to usher in spring. I’ll look forward to reading them as soon as I get back from a run in the woods!

Eat Clean Live Well!

1. Posted March 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Spring has definitely hit hard for my family too! Baseball, spring cleaning and looking for fresh greens to energize us after a long cold winter. I found some wonderful kale, collard greens, spinach and chinese mustard greens when I visited with Terry at Urban Oaks last week. What a fabulous farm! I am recommending it to all of my friends. We shared some amazing bread dipped in the “Tutti Amici” olive oil that I import… delicioso! Thanks Terry for introducing me to Urban Oaks Farm!!!

2. Posted March 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks for a delicious visit, Lisa! Stay tuned for a blog about Tutti Amici soon!

3. Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I just got back from a cross-country trip and am in the process of spring cleaning, too! I haven’t made it out to the compost bin yet, but I finally planted my seeds yesterday! I’ll have a blog post about it soon!

4. Posted April 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Andrea – Looks like we’re getting another beautiful weekend, so as long as I can get myself off my bike, I’m planning to plant some more seeds – muskmelon, broccoli, arugula, onions… What’s on YOUR list?!

5. Posted April 2, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

This is our first spring eating as healthy as we are. We’re going to be planting two types of Basil. First time in awhile. Now, where do we find good soil? Having fun with your book and your tips.

Jeri – Oahu

6. Posted April 2, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Jeri – You’ve got me! I’m not too familiar with gardening in Hawaii, but CTAHR (College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources) seems like it might be a great resource for you to ask this and related questions. Similarly, Maui Earth Organic is a company that sells organic compost. Even though they’re not near you, they could possibly direct you. Hope this helps and happy growing!

7. Posted April 3, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Terry. I will check into this info. Loving the recipes from Clean Food. So ono.

8. Posted April 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink