LEMONY ARTICHOKE DIP

Download PDFCLEAN FOOD, revised edition | Spring | Page 40

FRESH ARTICHOKES ARE A TREAT, but also a lot of work. Canned artichoke hearts, available in most grocery stores, allow you to enjoy the delicious taste of artichokes anytime without the fuss. I like to serve this dip with rice crackers or Pita Chips (page 317).

INGREDIENTS

1 garlic clove, peeled
1 shallot, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1⁄2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3⁄4 cup great northern beans
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄2 teaspoon powdered mustard
1⁄4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
2 1⁄2 cups canned artichoke hearts, drained

PREPARATION

With food processor running, drop in garlic clove and process until minced. Turn off processor, scrape down sides of bowl, add remaining ingredients except artichokes and process until well combined. Add artichokes and process briefly so that small chunks remain. Season to taste with additional salt and serve.

MAKES 3 cups

© 2012 Terry Walters

1. Posted May 16, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I love your recipes they are so fresh, and attractive. I am on cumiden and cant eat a lot of green veggies, but I can always find something delicious in your recipes. iam going to buy your book thank you . sincerely Dona Ison

2. Posted May 16, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Donna, I’m glad you found me and are enjoying your CLEAN FOOD creations. Can’t wait to share my next book with you this fall!

3. Posted May 16, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Dona, I’m glad you found me and are enjoying your CLEAN FOOD creations! Can’t wait to share my next book with you this fall!

4. Geoffrey Powell
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Do your recipes in Clean Food contain nutritional analysis infromation? i.e. Carbohydrates 25g, etc.

5. Posted October 26, 2010 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Hi Geoffrey, I’m do not generally have nutritional information for my recipes, but have had to get it for a few. Was there one in particular you were looking for, or just in general?

6. Geoffrey Powell
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Just in general. My diet now is based on the Body For Life plan. You eat a portion of protein and a portion of carbohydrate 5-6 times per day and include a portion of vegetables 2-3 times. I also do the exercise portion of the plan which is 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training. I am very pleased with this program but lately have been hearing several thing about how getting your protein from animal sources might not be the best way (the China Study and now your book, Clean Food). I am interested in being as healthy as I can but still get all the nutrional values that I need (1 carb + 1 protein = 1 small meal). I also read that people who eat a vegan diet usually require supplements of Complex B vitamins, zinc and iron. Do you find this to be the case?

7. Posted October 29, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink

HI Geoffrey, While every constitution is different and some people can handle animal protein better than others, we do know across the board that animal protein is linked to some forms of cancer, heart disease, and conditions of acid in general. There are many reasons to avoid animal protein ranging from antibiotics, growth hormones, and steroids used to raise animals, to genetically engineered food fed to the animals, to unsustainable farming practices, and of course, political or personal beliefs/values. How your body functions on animal protein is something only you know. But without a doubt, if you will be well served to find a resource for locally and ethically raised meats and to consume them in medicinal quantities along with a varied plant-based diet. Other great sources of protein include legumes, nuts, seeds, organic tempeh and tofu and even whole grains like wild rice, quinoa, amaranth and teff which are particularly high in protein. As you point out, animal protein is a rich source of vitamin B12 and while there are trace amounts in miso, barley grass and sea vegetables, often a multivitamin is recommended for vegans.

You do point out another issue which is mineral absorption. Protein in general inhibits mineral absorption and even complex carbs like brown rice are high in acids that also inhibit mineral absorption. a great way to counter this is to cook whole grains and legumes with kombu (sea vegetable) which neutralizes their acid forming properties and infuses them with highly-absorbable minerals.

I hope that helps!

8. Posted November 1, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Keep me posted on your progress, Geoffrey, and enjoy the journey!

9. Geoffrey Powell
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Just ordered your book, Clean Food, online. Can’t wait for it to arrive. My wife and I have been going nuts lately trying to figure out this whole “eating healthy” thing. One of our biggest motivations is to model and teach our two young daughters to eat nutritiously and enjoy food that is good for your body, mind, and soul. We thought we were doing pretty good until we started hearing more and more about the vegan way of eating. It really seems to make the most sense to us. Eating locally and organically grown plants just feels right. My mother-in-law invited us over for dinner the other night and she ahd prepared your Autumn Harvest Soup. It was delicious and I felt great after eating it. It was a different feeling than after eating a meat-based soup. It may sound weird but my body seemed to accept the soup better. We currently eat, what I thought to be, pretty healthy now with mostly organic meats and vegetables, but I am truly excited for my family and myself about cracking open your book and eating “clean” on a regular basis. Hope your Halloween was enjoyable.
    Geoffrey

10. Geoffrey Powell
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I’ve had the book for a couple of weeks now. The first portion is an easy, enjoyable and informative read. I love that the recipes are seperated by the seasons. I have incorporated 2-3 main dishes into our week, so far. Luckily we have a good selection of organic foods at our regular grocery store and I found several items that they did not carry at our local natural food store. I made the hearty black bean soup for a family get together after a college football game that most of us went to. Everyone raved on this. It went over better than the BBQ beef and pork that used to be the staple for such events. I also brought the Apple Crisp. It was very well received, also. I made the Autumn Harvest Soup last night and had the in-laws over. I ate the last of it for lunch today. I am very pleased with the book and will be purchasing Clean Start soon. All the best to you and your family this Thanksgiving weekend.
    Geoffrey

11. Julie
    Posted December 19, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Terry – I have bene on just about every diet you can name, but it never works for too long. I am looking for something that will last, a lifestyle change. I am realiziing that I just don’t feel good. Not only is my weight an issue, I just feel sluggish and not well. I have been intrigued by the Clean Food way of life for some time and have just begun reading up on it. I was hoping to see you in Vernon at Nature’s Grocer this last week, but could not make it. I am wondering if there are any tips you can give to someone who has had a lifetime of failed diets AND is a very picky eater. I have found that my food dislikes have been a problem on some diets. I don’t eat eggs, mayo, cottage cheese, red meat or fish (many other things, but those seem to be the main ones!) So any help you could offer would be much appreciated! Thanks! – Julie

12. Posted December 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Julie,

You’ve come to the right place! Eating clean isn’t about adhering to a diet that’s been created without your unique constitution in mind. It’s about transitioning to a lifestyle that will support your good health. And, there is no animal protein, so you won’t find any recipes for the foods you listed as your dislikes!

My suggestion would be to start by bringing in one new clean food a week. It could be a whole grain, a vegetable, a legume… If you still don’t know where to begin, start with a dark leafy green – maybe kale or collards, watercress or bok choy. Flip to the back of one of my books for a recipe and give it a try. If you try one new food and one new recipe a week, at the end of the year, you’ll have a whole new vocabulary of recipes and foods that support your good health (even if you don’t like all of your creations!). This is a great way to focus on bringing new foods in, as opposed to depriving yourself of the foods you love – which is guaranteed to backfire. The more clean food you bring in, the more the foods that aren’t serving you will naturally fall by the wayside. Even if they’re foods you love, you’ll appreciate having them as a treat, but not as your mainstay.

Another great tool is to keep a journal for a few weeks. This is a great way to see which tastes and colors are missing from your diet, how different foods affect your mood, energy…and can help identify imbalances or habits that aren’t working for you. There’s a sample food journal in CLEAN FOOD for your to refer to. I hope these suggestions are helpful and do write back if you have questions along the way and let us know how it’s going!

EAT CLEAN LIVE WELL!

13. Posted November 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I love artichoke dip, and am thrilled to have found yours. Cannot wait to try it!!

6 Trackbacks

1. By 101 Healthy Holiday Recipes- IIN | HealthyMamaInfo on November 19, 2011 at 8:06 am

[…] 21. Lemony Artichoke Dip (V) […]

2. By Healthy Appetizers! « Trackin' It Up on December 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

[…] 21. Lemony Artichoke Dip (V) […]

3. By 101 Healthy Holiday Recipes on July 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

[…] 21. Lemony Artichoke Dip (V) […]

4. […] fresh), and most are incredibly healthy without looking or tasting so. Think Tofu and Kale Lasagna, Lemony Artichoke Dip, Sweet Potato and Parsnip Pancakes, Chocolate Lover’s Tart, Chestnut Stuffing, Pad Thai, Pear […]

5. […] 2. Lemon Artichoke Dip […]