PUMPKIN SPICE MUFFINS

Download PDFCLEAN START | Fall | Page 120

These muffins, full of my favorite warming spices, were a hit from the very beginning. The high-protein combination of flours used makes them a nutritious breakfast snack, and an extremely popular lunch box treat.

Pumpkin Spice Muffins

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare mini-muffin tins with oil or paper muffin cups.

Place dates in food processor and mince. Add remaining wet ingredients and process to combine. Place all dry ingredients in separate bowl, and whisk to combine.

Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix briefly to combine. Immediately scoop batter by the tablespoonful into muffin tins. Distribute batter evenly. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and set on rack to cool completely before removing from tins.

MAKES approximately 30 mini muffins

Tip
Muffins freeze well in an airtight container.

© 2012 Terry Walters | Photography by Gentl & Hyers

1. Posted December 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

This is a must try. I really like teff flour. I think it’s the texture.

2. Susanna
    Posted June 10, 2011 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Is it possible to substitue whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour for the brown teff and chickpea flours and the almond meal? We’re not gluten-free so it’s just easier to use all purpose/whole wheat/whole wheat pastry flours and we have a life-threatning nut allergy so we avoid all tree nuts and peanuts. Also besides gluten, is there a reason to avoid wheat flours if we don’t have an allergy? Thank you (and love your books)!

3. Posted June 14, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Susanna, If gluten is not an issue for you or your family, whole wheat pastry flour will be a fine substitute for these other flours. I certainly understand the need to avoid almond flour/meal if you have allergies, but if you do have the opportunity to work with teff flour or chickpea flour, I think you’ll find it not only savory, but delicious! As for gluten, a small percent of the population is intolerant to gluten, but there are others who are allergic (have a histamine response) or even sensitive (a compromised digestive function) to wheat and gluten. In fact, I was just reading an article from the American Journal of Gastroenterology that discusses a recent study that found that non-celiac gluten intolerance may actually exist and that gluten may indeed cause symptoms in people who do not have celiac disease. Since there’s so much wheat and gluten in processed foods, I think it’s fair to say that many of us would be well-served to at least take note of the amount of wheat we consume, and where possible, substitute a variety of other whole grains and flours for less dependence on wheat and greater variety of complex carbohydrates.

4. Posted September 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Love your books – they are the best! I would like to use the pumpkin muffin recipe but have some people with nut allergies. Can I replace the almond meal with ground flax seed? I want to keep the other flours.

5. Posted September 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Kate, Great question. I think the ground flax might absorb too much of the liquid and make the muffins too mushy. There’s already plenty of ingredients that help bind the flours, so I think I’d first try substituting quinoa flour for the almond meal (same quantities). That should be yummy! Please do write back and let us all know!

6. Lisa D
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I just made these muffins and they were excellent!!! I wouldn’t change a thing about them. They are moist and don’t need anything else. I wanted to make a double batch and freeze some but I almost exploded the wet ingredients in my food processor with just the regular batch. It was so full I couldn’t keep it running since it was coming through and spilling down the outside of the container. My food processor is a decent size but I’ll be paying more attention to the quantities going into it. Again though, a little messy clean up for some excellent muffins- and without sugar, butter, and oil.

7. Ernie C
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Terry,
    Thanks’ for sharing the recipe, the muffins were awesome!
    I did not have potato starch so I substituted tapioca, they came out great.

Thanks again, can’t wait for your new cook book to come out

8. Samantha
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

These are truly delicious and a hit with kids, sugarfried friends and my husband! They keep well too and perfect staright after a run for a nourishing pick-me-up-Thank you!

9. Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Kids, “sugarfried friends” AND the husband? My work here is complete! Congratulations Samantha and thanks for sharing!

10. Amisha
    Posted June 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Great recipe and would love to try. But..
    My daughter is allergic to apples and nuts so looking up for the substitutes. Any suggestions..

11. Posted June 28, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Hi Amisha,

Here’s how I would make this recipe gluten-, apple-, and nut-free! Substitute the following:

For the Almond Butter – Sunflower Butter
    For the Grated Apple or Apple Sauce – Grated Pear or Pear Sauce
    For the Almond Meal – 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour

Coconut flour absorbs quite a bit of moisture so this one substitute is not an exact science. If they come out too dry, use less coconut flour. If they’re too moist, try a bit more! I hope that helps! Please report back so others can benefit from your experimenting, too!

Eat clean live well,

Terry

12. Rosemary
    Posted July 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

These sound so delicious. Would I find Teff flour at Whole Foods? Or someplace around Simsbury or Avon? Chickpea flour as well? I know King Arthur carries a variety of flours but I would like to find them locally.

13. Posted July 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Rosemary, you can find dark teff flour at just about any natural foods store – Whole Foods Market, Garden of Light, Granby Village Health. Chickpea flour too! Bob’s Red Mill is a great source for organic flour. King Arthur, by the way, is based in Vermont, so that’s pretty local, but I don’t know if they sell teff. My favorite source for the ivory teff flour (they are somewhat interchangeable) is The Teff Company. Definitely check them out!

14. Neg
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Terry,
    Do you think I could just use either the teff or chickpea flour for this recipe?
    Thanks!

15. Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

You could use 1 cup of teff flour or 1 cup of chickpea flour, but you will still need to use the almond meal and potato starch to get the correct consistency. I hope that helps!

16. Linda
    Posted November 28, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Terry,
    I have your book and am interested in making this recipe. The only ingredient I don’t have for this is the potato starch. Is there a reasonable subsitute? Would cornstarch work? Thanks!

17. Posted November 28, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Linda, I would use tapioca flour or arrowroot powder over corn starch, but if you have cornstarch on hand, I’m sure it would work, too! Enjoy!

18. Dianne
    Posted January 5, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Wish you had calorie count on these.

19. Posted January 5, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

You’re not the first to ask, Dianne! While calorie counting doesn’t exactly fit with the premise of eating clean, I know it is a very helpful tool for some. I will discuss this with my publisher as an option for the next book. Thanks for your feedback! Terry

3 Trackbacks

1. By Cooking Pumpkin on October 25, 2011 at 12:30 am

Cooking Pumpkin…

[…]Pumpkin Spice Muffins – Terry Walters[…]…

2. By Clean Food Autumn Harvest Soup on November 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

[…] Pumpkin Spice Muffins <– Of course, I would like these. […]

3. By Pumpkin Spice Muffins | AngieOsborne.com on May 1, 2014 at 11:09 pm

[…] have on hand I decided to adapt it to my everyday pantry. It was adapted from the book: Clean Start. Feel free to give the original a try and let me know what you think. KID APPROVED??? […]