ASPARAGUS with MISO LEMON DRESSING
and MARCONA ALMONDS

Download PDFCLEAN START | Spring | Page 32

MISO IS A GREAT SOURCE of essential vitamin B12 and immune-strengthening zinc. Plus, it delivers big taste and significant health benefits. In the winter, it’s easy to add miso to soups and stews. Come spring, I favor lighter preparations like this one that contrast miso’s taste with the delicate and sweet Marcona almonds and fresh asparagus to highlight the flavors of the season.

Asparagus with Miso Lemon Dressing and Marcona Almonds

Ingredients

2 bunches asparagus
1⁄4 cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sweet brown rice miso
1⁄4 cup Marcona almonds (or whole blanched almonds)

PREPARATION

To prepare asparagus, cut off and discard woody ends and chop remaining stalks into bite-size pieces.

In large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat, bring water to boil. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes or until bright green and just soft. Remove from heat, drain water and set aside.

In small skillet over medium-low heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until soft (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and miso, mixing until miso is dissolved. Pour dressing over asparagus, transfer to serving dish, top with almonds and serve.

SERVES 4

© 2012 Terry Walters | Photography by Gentl & Hyers

1. Amy
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Don’t you lose a lot of the nutrients from the asparagus by boiling it in the water?

2. Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Amy, The water in this recipe is just enough to barely cover the bottom of the pot, so you’re not really boiling the asparagus as much as just lightly steaming it until it turns bright green which can take less than a minute, especially if you boil your water first and then add the asparagus. I think of the process as more like blanching than boiling. In fact, often the water evaporates to nothing just in that short cooking time. Nutrients are lost whenever you cook food, whether boiled, blanched, steamed, roasted…, but in this case it is minimal. I hope you enjoy the recipe! I just made it last night for a class and it was a big hit!

3. Jennifer Tome
    Posted May 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Terry- I attended your book signing in Princeton, NJ on the 10th of May. I made this for my family last night and all LOVED it!!!! Tonight I made three other items from Clean Start that were all delicious!! Thank you so much 🙂

4. Joy Rothschild
    Posted July 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Just made this tonight for my family and it was a hit!!! Everyone loved it and it was pretty simple to prepare and who doesn’t love that!

5. Posted July 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed seeing you in class today, Joy! Congratulations on your success with your new CLEAN eating! Here’s to your continued success!

6. Gwen Guglielmi
    Posted September 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I have FINALLY found an asparagus recipe that I love. There is so much asparagus grown in New Jersey I will put this recipe to good use. Thanks for visiting Princeton NJ this past May.

7. diane
    Posted October 21, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed your talk very much … unfortunately, I only saw the first half of your presentation today on the internet — missed the final part of the carrot/cashew dish, could you post the recipes?

8. Drew
    Posted November 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I tried this recipe last night and found it to be very satisfying. It’s hardly any work at all, filled with great nutrients and tastes surprisingly complex despite it’s simple ingredient list. I now plan on making this for Thanksgiving.

9. Posted November 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Enjoy in good health, Drew!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Real Hartford » Great American Meatout on March 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm

[…] Asparagus with Miso Lemon Dressing and Marcona Almonds […]

2. […] Asparagus and Edamame Salad with Lime-Miso DressingInspired by Terry Walters […]