CRISPY ROASTED CHICKPEAS

Download PDFCLEAN FOOD, revised edition | Snacks | Page 314

I strongly encourage you to double, triple or even quadruple this recipe, because once they come out of the oven they’re nearly impossible to resist.

Crispy Roasted Chickpeas

INGREDIENTS

3 cups cooked chickpeas
2–3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Seasoning of choice (see variations at right)

PREPARING Chickpeas

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Rinse chickpeas and drain well. Pat dry with a towel and spread evenly over parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub chickpeas with fingers to make sure they are coated. Sprinkle with a generous amount of sea salt and seasoning(s) of choice, and roast for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp on the inside but not burnt on the outside.

Makes 3 cups

VARIATIONS

Experiment with a variety of different spices such as garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, Chinese five spice, nutmeg, wasabi powder or your own unique spice blend.

© 2012 Terry Walters | Photography by Gentl & Hyers

1. Jodi
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I made these tonight but found the spices and salt didn’t seem to stick to the chick peas. Any thoughts? More oil? More spices?

2. Posted January 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Jodi!

I’m guessing your chickpeas were still wet. That will make a huge difference as water and oil definitely don’t mix! I usually spread the chickpeas out on a towel and pat them dry with a second towel. Then toss with oil and spices and place in oven as the recipe describes. You should be all set!

Enjoy!

Terry

3. Z.black
    Posted July 31, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Hi can I use Canned Chickpeas or do they have to be fresh because I don’t really have the time to soak the dry chickpeas

4. Posted August 1, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

If using canned, put them in a colander and pour boiling water over them to wash them off and plump them up. Then pat dry and continue with the recipe. They’ll be yummy…I promise!!!

5. Kate
    Posted October 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

How do you store these once cooked?

6. Posted October 11, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Great question, Kate! Honestly, in my home they rarely last long enough to store. But if you put them in an airtight container, they’ll become soggy. I recommend keeping them out in a bowl or loosely covered and reheating them in a toaster oven if you have enough left to serve again.