Aug 15

Confessions of a Clean Foodie

There I was, slaving over a bowl of aduki beans, attempting to create something new, something fabulous, something healthy! These sweet and sour little gems are great with Fall’s flavors such as carrots and winter squash, but when it comes to combining them with the tastes of summer, I was failing quickly. It was at that point I turned to my mother and asked,

“How do you prepare aduki beans during the summer?”

Her answer rocked my world.

“I don’t eat them,” she said.

“What?! Don’t eat them?! But they are your favorite! The most healthy, the best…”

“I don’t really care for them,” she replied.

That’s it. The end of life as I knew it. Years of attempting to incorporate these nasty little beans (sorry for those I offend here) into my diet, into my recipes, into my life. The truth is, I really don’t care for aduki beans at all! Never have. Never will. But, being a good daughter who respects my mother whole-heartedly, I’ve been eating aduki beans for years. Why? Because she told me to.

Well, those days are over. I’m moving those aduki beans to the back of the pantry…perhaps even making them give up their mason jar for some other beloved bean. Maybe I’ll fill it with pintos, cannellinis, black beans or even favas! Maybe I’ll go crazy and fill it with cashews…or possibly even dark chocolate chips! All I know is that the options are limitless, and I’m just glad to be free. Good-bye aduki beans. I will visit you again come fall, but the stay will undoubtedly be short.

Eat clean live well!

1. Steve Krulick
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Sprout them along with mung beans and pop them into salads!

2. Posted August 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. It sounds like it has potential, but I’m not sure I can go back now that I’m newly liberated!

3. Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

In the late 80’s, early 90’s. The Body Shop sold ground up adzuki beans as a “beauty grain” style facial scrub..they actually did a great job! I wonder if a food processor could grind them up fine enough to make it homemade!

4. Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Elaine, I remember that! I’ll bet you a Vitamix or coffee grinder would grind them up nicely. Let me know if you try. I’m always game for a little extra exfoliating!

5. Sheila Jacobs
    Posted September 2, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I didn’t say that I liked them – just that they’re good for you!Grinding them in summer for exfoliating sounds good…

6. Posted September 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I “liberated” myself from broccoli a long time ago. I know it’s really good for you and I tried every preparation method known to man but never found a recipe that I could stomach. Liberating indeed!

There are so many great, nourishing foods to choose from, why force ourselves to eat the one or two we really don’t like?

7. Posted September 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I’m with you, Veronica! While I do like broccoli (like, not love), you have my full support! Well said.