Dec 11

Raindrops on roses…

and whiskers on kittens.

With the holiday season upon us, I’ve compiled a list of ‘a few of my favorite things’ with the hope of inspiring some clean gift giving. In no particular order and in all price ranges, here’s a list that is sure to keep you – and those lucky people on your gift-giving list – eating clean and living well!

1. Enameled Dutch Ovens: I love my Le Creuset and have had them forever, but Lodge is making a line that’s manufactured in the US, reasonably priced and beautiful! I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

2. Cast Iron Skillets: As long as we’re already talking about cast iron, my 12″ Lodge cast iron skillet is my best friend in the kitchen.

3. Quality Knives: One specialty knife goes a long way and a high-end knife sharpener to go with it makes the perfect pairing!

4. Wooden Utensils: Craft shows, farmers markets and antique stores are especially great places to find locally crafted wooden spoons, bowls, cutting boards and serving pieces.

5. Hand Blender: Reasonably priced, easy to use and store and a must-have in my kitchen! Make sure it’s stainless steel so you’re not pureeing your hot soup with plastic.

6. Mason Jars: An essential for storing whole grains, legumes, dried herbs, spices, Maple Nut Granola (CLEAN FOOD page 324)…

7. Vitamix Blender: Something special for that someone special who happens to love homemade green smoothies, dips, soups, ice-cream…

8. Tea Press: Combine this with a sampling of artisanal hand-dried and blended herbs and teas for a healing and luxurious gift.

9. Food Dehydrator: (hint, hint) I don’t have one of these yet, but look out when I finally do! Dried “everything-from-my-garden” (not to mention the best crispy kale ever). Yes please!

10. Potted herbs: Perfect for any windowsill and a great way to freshen up your winter menus.

11. Cloth Napkins: Perfect for the green kitchen. If you’re crafty, you can even make them yourself with leftover scraps of fabric!

12. Woolen “Up-cycled” Pot Holders: Made from recycled sweaters, these are a colorful and practical gift – especially for the baker in the family.

13. CSA Farm Share: Support your local farmer AND give the gift of of fresh produce by giving a CSA farm-share, or veggie bucks (farm gift certificate). Making a donation to a local land or farm trust in someone’s honor is also a great way to give the gift of sustainability.

14. Blessing Baskets: These beautiful and colorful baskets from Ghana Africa are great for everything from shopping the farmers market, and creating your table centerpiece, to storage for potatoes, onions, garlic and more.

15. Reusable Produce Bags: You can never have enough of these for making shopping green and keeping produce fresh. Add reusable shopping bags to complete the set!

16. Outstanding in the Field Gift Certificates: This farm-to-table traveling road show is a luxurious and delicious way to celebrate the relationship between the harvest and your favorite chefs. Their dinners sell out quickly, but they’ve inspired similar farm-to-table experiences all over the country. Who wouldn’t want to share this culinary adventure?

17. Stainless Compost Bucket: Get family and friends started composting with a stainless compost bucket for their countertop or a composter for the back yard!

18. Fair Trade/Locally Made Dark Chocolate: I’m guessing no explanation is needed here!

19. CLEAN START: It’s my site, so I’m allowed the occasional shameless plug, aren’t’ I?! This cookbook is a sure-fire way to get your friends and family eating clean and loving it!

20. CLEAN FOOD: The bible for eating clean and living well. Empower those you love to be nourished by the fruits of the changing seasons. The new revised edition is the perfect for anyone (including your gluten-free friends) who loves quick, easy, nutritious and DELICIOUS clean food! If your local store is out of books, you know where to find me!

I’m not suggesting you make matching dresses from the curtains, but you could wrap your gifts in reusable fabric for an extra special green touch!

I could add to this list for days, but I’m more interested in hearing from you! What are some of the favorite items YOU’RE giving – and wishing for – this holiday season?

Eat Clean Live Well!

1. Betsy Kunz
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I love these ideas! I already purchased some cloth napkins for my son’s lunchbox for him for Christmas. We already use them at home. I have many of the things you mentioned but some are on my wish list. Do you suggest any particular quality knives? You mentioned the nice blender and I have a BlendTec. Do you have a good vanilla ice cream recipe?

2. Posted December 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Betsy, I’ve been eyeing Shun knives about forever, but I also happen to like my Global and Wusthof knives very much. For a quick and easy vanilla ice cream, try ice, almond milk, vanilla beans and maple syrup in your BlendTec (and let us know how it comes out!). Terry

3. beth
    Posted December 12, 2012 at 4:28 am | Permalink

I love to cook, but some of my friends-not so much. So I present them with my own “coupons” they can redeem for meals, soups, desserts that I happily make for them. Plus it’s a great way to introduce them to some cleaner alternatives.

4. Posted December 12, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Beth, what a great idea! I think I’ll give some coupons to my children! LOL!

5. Posted December 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I hope Santa brings you a dehydrator this year because I’d LOVE some of your recipes to use in mine! So far, I’ve made “cheezey” vegan kale chips, dried herbs and spicy peppers, and made some good fruit leather, but I could use some more ideas. 😉

6. Posted December 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks for putting in an extra word with the big guy, Andrea! Hoping not to have “dehydrator envy” for long! xo

7. Betsy Kunz
    Posted December 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t really know how to work with vanilla beans. What do I do? Split them open and scoop out the inside? How much would you suggest using for an ice cream recipe? I also wanted to tell you that I received your cookbook today that I ordered when you had the special through B&N. Yay, I’m so excited! I had not thought to order one, however, as a Christmas gift for my husband’s cousin who is a vegan. I know she would love it! Will you be having any more specials on the price anytime soon?

8. Posted December 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Betsy,

CLEAN FOOD is still on holiday special (32% off) on BN.com! Here’s a link that helps explain the different ways to use vanilla beans. For ice-cream, I would cut a very small piece of bean, slice it in half and drop it in the food processor with the other ingredients. I like to see the flecks from the seeds and you can always add more to taste. http://www.vanilla.com/index.php/TROPICAL-FOODS/VANILLA/vanilla-beans.html

Terry

9. Posted December 31, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I have a son and daughter in law who live in Rowayton. Are you near them. Three of their four children have celia so they all eat gluten free. Do you lair ever give special cooking lesson with particular restrictions in mind. B

10. Posted January 2, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Hi Blair,

All of my classes are vegan and gluten-free, however I am about 90 minutes from Rowayton. That said, I will be speaking at the Ferguson Library in Stamford, CT (just down the street from Rowayton) the evening of Thursday, January 10th. I expect to post that event to my calendar w/in the next day or so…just waiting for final details! Happy healthy New Year!

Terry

11. Jesse Cembalisty
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I just recently bought your book and was wondering if you travel to Colorado at all or if you knew of someone who taught classes similar to you out here.

12. Posted January 7, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Hi Jesse,

I am always interested in exploring teaching and speaking opportunities away from home and also travel around the launch of my books. Right now I have no plans to be in Colorado, but who knows what the future will bring! In the meantime, I would recommend searching through Integrative Nutrition’s Health Coach Directory. Here’s a link! http://coaches.integrativenutrition.com/

Terry