KATU-TV | AM Northwest | Portland, Oregon | January 23, 2015
Clean Eating for the Entire Family
KATU-TV | AM Northwest | January 23, 2015
Clean food comes from the green kind of plant, not the processing plant! Terry Walters joined us to share some great food and useful information from her new book, Eat Clean Live Well. She also got an “assist” from actor Michael Rooker. Terry says, “Bring in one new ‘clean’ food at a time and by the end of the year, even if you only like half of the foods you try, you’ll have 26 new clean food recipes in your repertoire.” Here is some other great advice for getting your family to eat healthier:
- Move foods “closer to the source” for added more nutrition. For instance, instead of instant oatmeal, make your own oatmeal from the bulk section then mix with diced apple, maple syrup and some cinnamon.
- Add new foods to recipes you already know your kids love. Add a leaf of chopped collard greens or some broccoli to a favorite vegetable soup, or mix just a little bit of arugula or baby kale in with a favorite green salad.
- Create healthy dialogue: Talk about eating a rainbow of colors, picking foods that come from the green kind of plant not the processing plant, and reading packages together (look for ingredients you can visualize growing). Kids will follow what you DO rather than what you SAY.
- Get everyone involved. Involve everyone in everything from menu planning to shopping to cooking, setting the table and yes, even cleaning up. Owning control over your health empowers us to make healthy choices.
- Make it fun and DELICIOUS! Try new recipes, new foods.